June is African American Music Appreciation Month. Honoring Our HAIRitage is ending June with the list of my favorite songs by African Americans with theme of…HAIR…of course!
1. Nina Simone “4 Women” – Nina Simone is one of my favorite artists. Her voice is deep and rich and her words are rousing. In four women, she sings about four different women and includes in each verse a description of each woman’s skin color and hair texture – two aspects that are hugely political for women of color. Watch as she performs this song live!
2. India Arie “I am not my hair” – In this video, I love how India deliberately wears different hairstyles throughout the video to show that all hairstyles are okay – even locs! She even shares her hair journey before sharing your hair journey was trendy.
3. Prince “She’s always in my hair” – I LOVE PRINCE! He is a musical genius and always gets it right. Not only does he sing about hair in this song, he rocks a bada$$ afro while doing so.
4. Willow Smith “Whip my hair” – I love how Willow has created her own style and has the courage to be herself, she sings, Don’t let hater get me off my grind / Keep my head up I know I’ll be fine. I love the pink Mohawk too!
5. TLC “Unpretty” – This song is about more than just hair. It deals with a variety of insecurities that we all face regarding our weight, breast size and looking outside ourselves for validation. It is about accepting yourself, just the way you are, which is a theme for Honoring Our HAIRitage. TLC is one of my favorite groups and this song is just one reason why!
I’d love to know about more songs about hair. Let me know your favorites in the comments!
Don’t forget to Subscribe to never miss a post!
Feel free to Like, Comment, or Share below!!